When addressing maintenance policy, two levels have to be considered:
- global entreprise or corporate level, where a general and generic maintenance policy is defined
- machine or equipment level, for which the type of maintenance has to be defined, according to cost ot strategy criteria
Definition of a general maintenance policy
Thy statement must give a reference frame for maintenance activities so that the different actors
(those doing the actions) as well as other divisions share the references to understand and organize and behave.
Definition of maintenance policy should include:
For each item, the detail about what, how much, when, what for...
- Definition of Maintenance Budget
- Statement about the type of maintenance and cost reduction targets
- Investments policy
- Major overhauls
- Subcontracting policy
- Current maintenance
- Continuous improvement policy, both within the boundaries of maintenance division as well as contribution to those
programs in the company
- Human management policy, especialy about training
The author, Chris HOHMANN, is managing partner
in an international consulting firm.
Contact the author
Back to Productive Maintenance portal